Bookmatched Myrtlewood Tortilla Press
The body of this tortilla press was made from one solid 3" piece of Myrtlewood with plenty of character. A section of wood rot added some beautiful color contrast so it was filled in with clear epoxy resin to solidify it in order to keep that feature. Our client wanted something with a more natural look so this wood was chosen since it really speaks for itself.
Each of our tortilla presses are wet sanded to 10,000 grit and polished with food safe, non-toxic Odie's Oil to protect the beautiful wood and make it silky smooth. The hinges are solid brass and the handle is held in place by a 1/4" bolt. They make perfect tortillas every time! Enjoy a piece of functional art that you can keep out on your kitchen counter proudly.
We make new tortilla presses regularly so be sure to keep an eye on our shop for new listings. If you are interested in commissioning a press (perhaps you want it to match your kitchen or you have a favorite color) don't hesitate to start a conversation with us so we can make you something special.
For daily maintenance and tortilla making, use parchment paper, wax paper, or a cut open ziplock bag on either side of the dough to keep your tortilla press clean and prevent your tortillas from sticking. If it gets a bit messy, wipe down with a damp cloth. If necessary, scrub with hot soapy water for deep cleanings. Do not soak.
To treat your press, give it a good oiling anywhere from once a month to once a year depending on how often you use it. If it seems to be getting a bit dry then oil away!:
How to oil:
1. Clean your tortilla press thoroughly: scrub the wood and then wipe it clean. Let it dry.
2. Apply the wax/oil: using a clean soft cloth (or paper towel if you must), apply any of the following treatments to your board:
- Odie's Oil
- raw linseed/flaxseed oil
- food grade mineral oil
- liquid coconut oil (food safe MCT oil)
- carnauba wax
3. Let it soak in overnight or at least for several hours.
4. Remove the excess: with a soft cloth or towel, buff off the excess so your board doesn't feel damp or sticky.